Oklahoma Nurses Association Legislative Agenda
Oklahoma Nurses Association is the professional association representing the state’s registered nurse population. ONA is involved in the shaping of public policy about health care which is consonant with the goals of nurses, nursing and public health. ONA is committed to ensuring that the registered nurse is an essential provider in all practice settings and advocates for access to quality health care services for all individuals. (See other Helpful Links on Legislative Issues at the bottom)
Therefore, Oklahoma Nurses Association will support legislation and health care policy which:
- Facilitates the development of a system of health care delivery that emphasizes prevention, health promotion and appropriate monitoring of quality and user satisfaction
- Supports a basic core of essential health care services that are accessible to all citizens of Oklahoma
- Incorporates nurses at all levels of policy-making and decisionmaking regarding the health care system
- Assures funding to meet health care needs including recognition and remuneration for services rendered by nurses
- Assures the delivery of health care by duly qualified providers as a means to protect the consumer
- Recognizes the Oklahoma Board of Nursing as the sole regulatory authority for professional nursing practice, including adequate resources for the agency
- Promotes funding for professional nursing education and research at both the basic and advanced levels
ONA Legislative Priorities 2018
- Ensure adequate funding for vital health care related services, including direct care, illness prevention and health outcomes. Shortfalls in funding for health and behavioral health services will increase costs in other areas of the state’s budget, and will lead to dire negative consequences for individuals, families, and communities, placing all at risk. When funding falls below critical levels, every other health priority for Oklahomans and nurses is negatively impacted. Nursing is one of the few professions in Oklahoma providing care to our citizens from cradle to grave.
Governance – Preserving the Board of Nursing’s oversight and regulation of nursing practice
- Nursing is the largest group of healthcare providers including LPN, RN and APRN, each one with its own unique scope of practice. The Oklahoma Board of Nursing is already a consolidated licensure and regulatory entity governing nursing practice. Ensuring professional nursing oversight of this board provides for the critical health and safety of the public. This self-sustaining, non-appropriated Board contributes revenue to the state general fund while providing for efficient, focused regulation of the nursing profession.
Improving Oklahoma’ Health Status
- Access to efficient, competent health care is supported all when licensed Nursing professionals practice to the full extent of their scope of practice. Competent nursing practice improves the health and safety of every Oklahoman. Evidence demonstrates that state health rankings are higher when nurses practice to the full extent of their license.
- Improving the physical, mental, and economic well being of the individual, the family, and the community increases Oklahomans’ health status.
- Support only those educational proposals that promote the emotional, mental and physical well being of school children.
- Nursing education is an important and critical component in the development of Oklahoma’s nursing workforce, but also in ensuring lifelong learning and continued competency for all nurses in Oklahoma.